Saturday, April 26, 2008

Foursome the Spider, Larry Nestor

Foursome the Spider was a silly book. It is about a spider that moves into a nature center with other bugs. Foursome knows how to play golf and he teaches the other bugs to play golf. Through the game they learn how to interact with each other and still be nice to one another. It is an interesting book because it is a picture book, but there are a lot more words than other picture books I have read. It kind of bothers me really. When I first opened it, I thought, "Wow, this looks really long. I don't want to read this." In fact, there are so many words, the pictures don't really add much. You'd have the same story without them. I think the book is a very didactic book, and it is intended to teach a lesson on playing together and being kind to one another. On various occasions, Foursome knocks his seed golf ball into the territory of others and he must apologize, saying he did not intend to harm them. Many times Foursome is complimented on his kindness. Overall, the point is to teach children how to play nice. Honestly, I thought it was a little overdone, and I don't see how I would have liked it when I was a child.

1 comment:

Hyangmi said...

Please check Vista for your fourth journal and reading grades.