Saturday, April 5, 2008

Guess How Much I Love You

I just finished reading Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney. The book was actually given to my sister when she was born, but I adopted it because I love it so much. It tells the story of a little rabbit that is trying to tell his father how much he loves him, but his father keeps responding with an amount of love that is far greater than the little rabbit can think of. The best line of the book is, "I love you right up to the moon--and back." My ex-boyfriend and I used to say that to each other. It was kind of a silly little thing, but it meant something. What is so great about this story and its illustrations is that it is cute, funny, and entertaining, but it teaches children about the love of their parents. It's sort of like a subtle lesson, but not really. I don't know if learning about your parents' love is really a lesson, but it is something that we all deserve to feel. This story is such a wonderful way of putting love into a concept that children can understand. It takes the cliche of saying "I love you this much" while spreading your arms out wide, and turns it into something more. You can't really quantify love, but that is the best way that kids can understand it. The hares in the story also add to the child appeal. It's such a lovely little book. And I am proof that it not only touches the hearts of children, but adults as well.

No comments: